Global Banking – Chief Operating Officer
Location : London - Bishops Square
We currently have a fantastic opportunity to join A&O as our Global Banking Chief Operating Officer. This role will work with the Global Banking Practice Partners to achieve the strategic aims of the business.
Role and responsibilities
Global Banking Practice Group
- As a member of the Global Banking management team, taking a lead role in the development and implementation of the Global Banking Strategy. Agreeing and prioritising issues for the Co-heads of Global Banking.
- Providing analysis and consistent financial reporting and control to the Co-heads of Global Banking, highlighting areas for development as well as areas of concern, recommending and implementing necessary actions required to address these. As appropriate, liaising with heads of Banking in offices around the network, including where appropriate visiting offices to review strategy and performance.
- Reviewing the budgets and investment plans submitted by the Banking groups globally and provide feedback to the Co-heads of Global Banking and the Group Finance team. Liaising with heads of Banking across the regions or offices and with the local finance managers.
- Preparing and assessing business cases for lateral partner proposals and financial projections of proposed partner promotions and equity progression.
- Providing guidance on equity planning, allocation of discretionary points, and management in the wider Banking practice.
- Managing the global Banking partner compensation process, including advising on proposals, drafting memos and reviewing and moderating proposals across the other practice groups for consistency in conjunction with other COOs.
- Supporting the partner review process globally, providing financial analysis and preparing review meeting minutes.
- Member of the Global Banking PSC
- Helping to prepare our internal Banking partner candidates for the firm’s partnership selection process on topics such as financial metrics, billing, staff retention, staff development, conflicts, client selection, equity models and diversity.
- Leading key strategic projects for the Global Banking practice, and coordinating Banking participation in firmwide projects.
- Organising the annual Global Banking Partners meeting, providing ideas for agenda topics, speakers and breakout sessions, and planning and managing the event itself.
- Coordinating the Banking pro bono strategy and helping to drive increase in legal pro bono and community affairs engagement
- Oversight of the formal resource allocation team and driving improvements in resource allocation across Banking
- Training –proactively sharing knowledge and regularly presenting on financial information, profitability and approaches to pricing; including centrally organised Associate training sessions.
Management role in London Banking
- Ensure the London Banking objectives are aligned with the Global Banking Strategy.
- Enforce financial discipline among partners and the wider practice. In particular ensuring billing targets are met, collections are timely and older debts are chased, headcount control and Resource Planning Committee approvals and promotion of the use of alternative resourcing where appropriate.
- Financial reporting – providing relevant and clear financial information to partners, highlighting areas of concern and recommending actions required to improve.
- Driving the Investment Planning process within London Banking
- Resourcing – supporting partners having difficulties in resourcing matters. Specifically helping to provide resourcing solutions by using their internal network of other practice groups, offices and Peerpoint contacts and negotiating with other partners to provide capacity.
- Driving the budgeting process for London Banking.
- Business Continuity Plan owner for London Banking, leading a team to implement Banking’s business recovery co-ordination.
- Review of office of space requirements for the practice and liaising with Business Services to ensure we are making efficient use of our space and that it meets our needs.
- Working with HR to support moderation of associate performance and bonus modelling for Banking.
- Leading the support team for London Banking and ensuring coordination between Finance, BD, HR, IT and the Group Manager.
Wider involvement in the firm
- Taking a lead role in firm wide initiatives such as the hiring of groups of lateral partners and the opening new offices
- As a senior member of support staff and a member of the support staff faculty, take an active role in firm programmes such as the Emerging Leaders development workshops, and support staff development programmes.
- Take minutes at firm wide lateral partner interviews.
- As required, lead other firm projects which require senior support leadership.
- Finance Analyst / Business Manager for Banking
- Global Banking Practice Manager
- Senior Manager – Work Allocation
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. INDSJ